STATEMENT OF GOALS
As Vice-President of AAIDD, I would continue to provide advocacy and support for those with IDD and the professionals who seek to improve the field through policy, practice, and research. At my core, I am a collaborator and team-focused who looks to find strength-based ways to lead, improve, and support. My experiences as a paraprofessional, teacher, administrator, advocate, and professor give me a unique perspective in solving problems and listening to those in our field.
My goals for a possible term of office include
1) To facilitate vibrant connections across AAIDD.
2) To support the national leadership in working with a diverse organization of chapters, divisions, and special groups that are continually evolving.
3) To focus on national issues integrating our strengths of policy, practice, and research.
4) Continue to advocate for evidence-based practices that foster the inclusion of people with IDD in our communities.
Associate Professor, Education Department, Dual License Program, Providence College
Special Education Coordinator/Math Teacher, Zia Pueblo, Bureau of Indian Affairs
Special Education Mathematics Teacher, Albuquerque Public Schools
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, N.M. - Ph.D. May 2012;
M.A. 2000, Intellectual Disabilities and Severe Disabilities: Studies in Educational Equity for Diverse Exceptional Learners.
Western Connecticut State University, Danbury, C.T. - B.A. 1998, American Studies (English and History).
- Board Member: AAIDD Region X: 2013 – 2016
- At-Large Board Member: AAIDD Board: 2016 – 2020
- Special Interest Group member: Education 2013 – 2020
- Ad hoc committee on Diversity and Inclusion 2019 - 2020
- Reviewer, Inclusion: 2018 - present
- Conference Reviewer: 2012 - present
- Conference Planning Committee: 2017, 2020
- Conference Presenter 2012 - 2021
- Advisory Committee for Intellectual Disability, Definition, Diagnosis, Classification, and Systems of Support, 12th Edition – 2021, AAIDD Moderator AAIDD National Conference 2016-2020
- Position statements for the American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD) advocate for diversity, inclusion, and support in the community and against harmful practices.
- Diversity and Inclusion (2017)
- Electric Shock (2019)
- Facilitated Communication, Rapid Prompting Method (2019)
- Transportation (with The Arc) (2019)
- Aversive Procedures (2020)
- Fellow, American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD)
- New Mexico Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Education, 2011
- New Mexico Public Education Department Level 3-A: Instructional Leader Special Education K-12 Highly Qualified Teacher: Mathematics.