Executive Director / CEO
Center for Human Services
Center for Human Services (CHS) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating opportunities and changing lives for children and adults with developmental disabilities. Services are supported by a current revenue budget of $28 million and 315 employees. CHS serves people in 39 Missouri counties and maintains its headquarters in Sedalia, Missouri. It is governed by a Board of Directors comprised of 12-22 members (currently 17), manages three HUD project corporations, and acts as administrative agent for the Saline County (SB40) Board.
Center for Human Services celebrated 65 years of service last year and has long been regarded a leader in the statewide system of supports for people with developmental disabilities in Missouri. The vision and mission of CHS is “life without limitations.” In pursuit of this vision and mission, over 5,700 people were served last year in four program areas:
- Service Coordination & QA – includes Targeted Case Management in 9 counties.
- Employment Services – a variety of services to support competitive employment for over 100 individuals through both DMH and DVR funding.
- Community Living – Group Homes, independent living apartments, and supported living to 111 individuals in Saline and Pettis Counties, and a Day Activity Program in each county.
- Family & Child Development – including “First Steps” services in 27 counties, Early Headstart, and an aquatics program.
The program services of CHS have been CARF accredited since 1987.
The Executive Director / CEO works from the office in Sedalia, Missouri. Sedalia offers both the serenity of the country and the benefits of a city and prides itself on being an excellent place to raise a family. Its location at the intersection of US routes 50 and 65 gives residents and businesses easy access to major metropolitan areas via Interstate 70, the state capital Jefferson City, and the Lake of the Ozarks recreational area.
The Executive Director/CEO serves as Chief Executive of the Center for Human Services and its affiliated boards and, in partnership with the Board, is responsible for the success of CHS. The Executive Director/CEO champions the CHS mission and vision, defines the vision, charts the direction, and drives results of the organization. The Executive Director/CEO manages the organization, stewards its resources and provides accountability of CHS to its diverse constituents.
The ideal candidate for this position possesses:
- The qualities of a visionary, innovative leader with the ability to craft a vision, confront needed changes, and communicate the strategic future so as to inspire others to work toward that future.
- Experience with and understanding of the Missouri public delivery systems and regulations for services to people with developmental disabilities.
- Superior management abilities demonstrated in a large organization with: budget management plus profit and loss accountability, planning and delegating, building a cohesive leadership team.
- Communication and empathetic relationship skills applicable to all types of people, with the ability to increase visibility of the organization, advocate with public officials, and seek unrestricted contributions through the fundraising plan.
Defines and Champions the Vision, Mission and Strategies of CHS
- Gives direction to the formulation and timely progress of the agency’s long-range vision, mission, and strategic plan.
- Ensures that the organization has a thriving future in front of it and that the staff, board, and external stakeholders/supporters are aligned on the vision.
- Oversees all programs, services and activities to ensure that mission and program objectives are met.
Charts the direction, and drives for results
- Plans, coordinates, and empowers the leadership team to execute the daily operation of the organization.
- Dispenses advice, guidance, direction, and authorization to carry out major plans, standards and procedures, consistent with established policies and Board approval.
- Ensures the organization makes a difference, delivers on its promises, that its work results in genuine social impact, and that the organization is a good steward of resources and is constantly striving to improve.
Provides External Leadership
- Serves as chief spokesperson for the agency and ensures that the agency is properly presented to the media and all stakeholders.
- Maintains or develops knowledge of changes in policies, practices, and personnel in the communities, and institutions as well as on a State and National level.
- Ensures advocacy at the State and National Level by participating on Boards or Associations and advocating with and educating the legislature.
Manages the Organization and Stewards its Resources
- Ensures effective Leadership Team of Directors, with provision for succession.
- Maintains a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates top quality people.
- Promotes and implements a positive corporate culture, encouraging creativity and enthusiasm among staff.
- Ensures that CHS Staff have the opportunity to develop and grow through training and leadership development opportunities.
- Financial Stewardship
- Ensures that the organization has good systems and management controls in place and that its services are cost effective and meet professional standards and regulatory requirements.
- Ensures development and management of the annual capital and operating budget, monitors, manages and evaluates the fiscal performance of the organization.
- Represents the organization in business negotiations, agreements and or contracts; Plans and directs mergers, joint ventures, or the sale of major assets with approval of the Board of Directors.
Required and Preferred Qualifications
- Ten years professional management experience working in the fields of developmental disabilities, cognitive impairments, vocational rehabilitation and/or residential programming required.
- Masters degree (MA or MS) in a related field from an accredited university preferred.
- Experience with and understanding of the Missouri public delivery systems and regulations (including Medicaid and the Department of Mental Health, HCBS, Missouri Quality Outcomes, SB40 Boards, HUD and DESE) preferred.
The projected compensation range for this position will be competitive and in accordance with the background and experience of the selected candidate. CHS currently provides Medical and Life Insurance, a 125K Cafeteria Plan, a 403b Pension Plan. Vision, Dental and additional insurances are available to purchase.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
CHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer EEO/ AA - M, F, V, D
To apply for this position, submit resume and cover letter to Bruce Scott, The Moran Company, through the link below. Within your cover letter or resume, please be sure to provide a description of your qualifications related to the Position Summary and “ideal candidate” traits.
Please Note: We expect that preliminary interviews will be completed remotely. We do plan for finalist candidates to visit CHS in person and complete final interviews in-person, depending of course upon local/regional restrictions and travel guidelines at the time. APPLY NOW