Moving Forward Towards Independence
Moving Forward Towards Independence
(MFTI) is a nonprofit organization in Napa, California with a mission to provide transitional and independent living supports to adults with developmental, learning, and autism spectrum disabilities. A major goal of the program is “to support the growth of the whole person in a true community environment.” Moving Forward was founded 22 years ago by a group of six families, is organized under the IRS Code as a private foundation, and now supports 40-45 individuals in a three-phase program:
1. Two group homes on the same block for 4 men and 6 women
2. Apartments near the group home campus for 8 people
3. Community living with individualized levels of support in homes and apartments throughout the community (currently 30 individuals)
Moving Forward offers unique advantages:
• Graduated support levels
• Community life to support the growth of the whole person
• A lifelong community
• A safe, small town location in beautiful Napa Valley
A board of nine volunteers governs the organization and provides direction to the Executive Director who oversees approximately 30 employees. The operating budget is $1.7 million, about 80% of which is through private fees for service. An active Family Association helps build a strong sense of community among residents, staff, Board and families, plus provides education and mentoring to families. Referrals come to MFTI from around the country due to its reputation as a “true community” for people served with high quality support services. In addition to individualized support plans, Moving Forward offers structured classes, organized social events, and assistance in job skills, placement and retention.
The Executive Director of Moving Forward is the chief executive officer, reports to the Board of Directors, and has overall strategic and operational responsibility for the organization's consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives. The successful Executive Director utilizes her/his experience in services to people with I/DD by applying principles and best practices, as well as empathy for persons served and their families.
The ideal candidate for this position possesses:
- Superior management abilities suitable for a small staff operation and extensive personnel management experience including recruitment and retention strategies.
- Program development experience in meeting the health needs of program participants as they age.
- A work history that includes successfully generating new revenue and improving financial results through multiple review streams and fundraising strategies.
- Vision and skills to lead the organization into the future hand-in-hand with the Board of Directors.
- Communication and relationship skills applicable to:
- supporting current families of residents
- marketing to potential families
- engaging Napa community organizations and citizen supporters
Leadership & Management
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence with strong support for resident growth
- Ensure the fiscal health of MFTI through resident recruitment, fundraising, and sound management
- Recruit, lead, coach, develop, and retain high-performance staff; oversee effective staff organization
- Facilitate Board development and collaborate effectively with Board on strategic planning and operational objectives
- Communicate effectively with current and potential resident families, potential donors, local organizations such as the Regional Center and other key stakeholders
Fundraising, Development, & External Communications
- Develop and drive revenue generating and fundraising activities
- Develop and drive all aspects of marketing and communications, including web presence, external relations, and advertising
- Build organizational partnerships and establish relationships with funders, political leaders, and community leaders
Required and Preferred Qualifications
- Five or more years professional experience working in the fields of developmental disabilities, cognitive impairments, vocational rehabilitation and/or residential programming required.
- Excellence in organizational and financial management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget required.
- Advanced degree and senior executive management experience preferred
- Marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience and the ability to cultivate and work effectively with a wide range of stakeholders and diverse groups preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, and adaptable approach to business planning
The projected compensation range for this position will be competitive and in accordance with the background and experience of the selected candidate. Moving Forward currently provides medical, dental and vision plans, short and long-term disability insurance, and contributions to a Simple IRA.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Moving Forward employs individuals of different ages, genders, ethnicities, physical and mental abilities and lifestyles and values the unique background of each of its employees. Moving Forward will not discriminate (or tolerate discrimination by its personnel) against any applicant or employee based on race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity, genetic characteristics or information, or any other characteristic protected under law.
To apply for this position, submit resume and cover letter to Bruce Scott, The Moran Company, through the link below. Within your cover letter or resume, please be sure to provide a description of your qualifications related to the Position Summary and “ideal candidate” traits.
Please Note: We expect that preliminary interviews, likely including semi-finals, will be completed remotely. We do plan for finalist candidates to visit MFTI in person and complete final interviews in person, depending of course upon local/regional restrictions and travel guidelines at the time.