Challenge Aspen is dedicated to impacting lives through year-round adaptive experiences for people with disabilities. It creates life-changing opportunities by facilitating participation in activities designed to redefine limits, recognize abilities, and transfer value derived from adaptive experiences to everyday life.
Two main programs comprise the heart of the mission. Recreational, Educational, Cultural (REC) programs create possibilities for individuals of any age with any disability by offering year-round adaptive experiences such as skiing, rafting, mountain biking, swimming, music, dance camps and more in a respectful, nurturing environment. Challenge Aspen Military Opportunities (CAMO) programs offer the thrill and challenge of adaptive recreational activities to military veterans and active-duty personnel and their spouses, partners or caregivers. Challenge Aspen also provides a variety of customized adventures for participants.
Formally established in 1995, Challenge Aspen is located in the stunning Roaring Fork Valley, one of Colorado’s most desirable Rocky Mountain resort communities. It has a full-time staff of 10 employees, many of whom are long-term. They work in partnership with a team of specially trained adaptive ski instructors from Aspen Skiing Company and with the support of 50 active volunteers who assist with on-mountain and other programming activities as well as office work. The annual budget for Challenge Aspen is approximately $3 million, inclusive of in-kind donations. Key priorities facing the new Executive Director are enhancing and expanding a solid base of financial resources to fund its programs, nurturing relationships with staff, operational partners and volunteers and working with community partners to meet Challenge Aspen’s long term goals. For more information about the organization, please visit the website at ChallengeAspen.org.
Challenge Aspen is seeking a new Executive Director to provide effective leadership and build collaborative relationships with all of its key stakeholders. The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong management and interpersonal skills, along with a proven ability to generate resources to achieve the organization’s mission.
- Provide thought leadership and engage the board, staff, partners and other key stakeholders in charting the strategic future of the organization.
- Effectively manage the employee team by hiring and retaining a diverse, highly qualified staff and provide supervision, career coaching, performance reviews and professional and personal development opportunities.
- Cultivate relationships with donors and secure the resources needed to meet Challenge Aspen’s program goals through fundraising and other revenue-generating activities.
- Communicate with the Board of Directors and provide information necessary for the Board to make informed decisions.
- Implement and supervise the operation of Challenge Aspen’s programming, including exploring opportunities for innovation.
- Be a bridge-builder and nurture relationships with operational partners and the broader community.
- Maintain the financial integrity of Challenge Aspen and ensure compliance with all accounting, legal, contractual and fiduciary obligations.
Professional Qualifications & Personal Characteristics
Location & Compensation
- Passion for the mission of Challenge Aspen and heartfelt empathy for people with disabilities and their caregivers.
- Inspirational leader with excellent organizational and team-building skills. Minimum of 5-10 years of management experience. Specific experience in working with people with disabilities is a plus—especially in the areas of adaptive recreation and outdoor challenge.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, including major gifts, capital campaigns and endowment building.
- Collaborative style and ability to build strong relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Ability to build rapport and work effectively in partnership with volunteer boards and committees.
- Capable of providing thought leadership in forging a shared strategic vision for the organization.
- Budgeting, accounting, financial and risk management experience.
- Affinity for resort communities and outdoor recreation. Snow sports experience preferred.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field. Advanced degree preferred.
Challenge Aspen is headquartered in Snowmass Village, Colorado, in the Roaring Fork Valley. Salary is commensurate with experience and consistent with local norms.
Challenge Aspen is fully committed to equal-opportunity employment, both in principle and as a matter of policy. All matters of employment as well as all operations of Challenge Aspen will be conducted in a non-discriminatory manner. Candidates for employment are selected on the basis of qualifications, skills, education, relevant experience, and ability to perform essential functions of the position sought, as outlined in the position job description.
Challenge Aspen prohibits discrimination against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or cognitive disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or age; except where age (21 years or older) has been specified as a legal requirement per Colorado state law.
The search for the new Executive Director is being conducted for Challenge Aspen by
The Moran Company.
To apply for this position, submit cover letter and resume to Steven Byers, The Moran Company. APPLY NOW
Questions related to the position should be directed to Steven Byers, Senior Search Consultant, The Moran Company. Email: steve.byers (at) MoranCompany.com.